Departments of Chemistry in the Universities of Patras, Thessaloniki, Ioannina and Athens, with decisions of their General Assemblies, were adopted Green Chemistry and were established Green Chemistry Groups respectively.
The Association of Greek Chemist after decision of its Assembly of Representatives and core the above Green Chemistry Groups was launched the Hellenic Green Chemistry Network (HGCN) based in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Patras and with Coordinator Professor of Organic Chemistry Constantine Poulos.
The main aim of Hellenic Green Chemistry Network (HGCN) is to promote Green Chemistry in Education, Research, Industry and Society.
- The Academic Community has to adopt Green Chemistry and Green Chemical Technology and their philosophy to be infused in Education and Research. The chemists of the future have to grow up in an environment where the Principles of Green Chemistry will be the tools for the design of their research. This requires the green chemistry methodologies, techniques and principles to be taught in all courses.
- The Industry has to adopt Green Chemistry because, it will not be only beneficial for the society and the environment, will make companies competitive and provide costs benefits for industry.
- The Society has to be persuaded that Green Chemistry is a basic factor for Sustainable Development.
The aims of the HGCN will be achieved by:
- Providing educational material to Schools and Universities.
- Organizing conferences, seminars and training courses.
- Establishing a database on Green Chemistry for Greece (Education, Research, Industry).
- Collaboration with University Departments, governmental and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), Research Centers, Industry and any other organization that promotes Green Chemistry, Green Chemical Technology and Sustainable Development.
- Issuing of a Newsletter.